‘discover’ .. a programme of educational opportunities engaging with the textile heritage of the Stroud valleys.
We can help you tailor a programme of activities that will bring together many aspects of the curriculum and fully engage the children.
Contact us to receive a free pack of cards detailing the eight activities on offer.
In brief they cover:
- Dunkirk Mill Centre visits – impressive waterwheel drives historic machinery.
- Gigg Mill Centre visits – interactive weaving demonstrations.
- Resource Boxes – 3 boxes relating to the processes of the woollen trade past and present, including technology. 1 box demonstrating Cogs, Levers and Cams.
- Walking the Textile Landscape – Map leaflets or guided walks.
- Dyeing – natural dyeing and tie-dye workshops.
- Feltmaking – handmade felt workshops.
- In a Spin – the transformation of fleece by hand spinning methods, demonstration and interactive session.
- Victorian Families at the Mill – A resource CD of photographs, census and parish records. Can be reproduced for classroom use and comes with a booklet of notes and suggestions.